Getting Started with the IAB-MIF
If you have a new project idea that you would like to explore, here is a good place to get started.
- Contact facility personnel to start discussing the feasibility and scope of the project. This discussion can lead to the generation of a quote for instrument and/or staff time for your project.
- Fill out a Project Registration Form for your new project.
- The Project Registration Form will ask you about the funding status of your project, and will automatically link you to the Facility Service Award or Facility Merit Award Application, if needed.
- All users are required to read the MIF policies and sign the consent form confirming that the policies have been read. Please return the signed document to Dr. Carl Murphy, MIF Manager at email@example.com before requesting access to the facility.
Training on the 300 MHz NMR is available to all users and generally consists of a minimum of two hours of instruction and at least two hours of observation. The current training packet for the 300 MHz Varian can be found here.
Training on the 600 MHz NMR is available to all users that have completed training on the 300 MHz NMR, and have a demonstrated need for the 600 MHz instrument. This training usually consists of a minimum of two hours of instruction and at least two hours of observation. The current training packet for the 600 MHz Bruker can be found here.
Training on the 1.5 Tesla MRI will be performed on an as needed basis for users requiring extensive MRI experiments for their research.
Training on the iDXA will also be performed only on an as needed basis, and also requires obtaining a radiation badge from the UAF-Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Managment office.
You should always make a reservation for the time you will be using the instrument to ensure that it is available before taking the time to prepare your sample.
All instrument calendars can be accessed through the Facility Online Manager scheduler at hamr.alaska.edu. You can just follow the link and set up an account. Depending on your needs you may need to request access to the calendar to set up a reservation for a specific instrument.
Here is a list of our rates as of July 1st 2021:
Internal (UA) users NMR Rate per Hour
- 300 MHz NMR $25
- 600 MHz NMR $50
- NMR Staff Assistance $90/hour
- GE Lunar iDXA: $120/hour
Toshiba Excelart\Vantage MRI research rates
- Nonliving subject $130/hour
- Living Subject $220/hour
Projects that are not funded through the University of Alaska system are subject to a 50% surcharge.
The rates listed below are for inherently external services, and already include the additional 50% within their rates.
- Walk-in DXA scan - $180/scan
- Veterinary Diagnostic MRI - $1600/session + $170 radiologist
- Additional $450 for after-hours/weekend emergency
- Additional $225 for additional regions
- Additional $250 for scans requiring breath holds and/or cardiac gating
Referral from Veterinarian is Required for diagnostic imaging.
Here is a link to the full Molecular Imaging Facility Policies
All work performed within the IAB-MIF should include the following text:
Research reported in this publication was supported by an Institutional Development Award (IDeA) from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under grant number 2P20GM103395.The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily reflect the official views of the NIH.
All work performed within the IAB-MIF, on or after July 1st 2020, should include the following text:
Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number P20GM130443. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.